Frequently Asked Questions
How many people can you fit your canvas tents?
It depends on how much gear you are bringing, whether you are using cots, and how much extra personal space you prefer. See our sleeping capacity page for a thorough response to this question.
Does the synthetic canvas used in your tents feel like plastic?
No, they are nothing like plastic. The tents feel and look like a cotton-blend canvas, which is already very similar to regular cotton canvas. If you’d like a free sample of our canvas material to test for yourself, just shoot us an email with your mailing address ([email protected]).
How does your canvas compare to traditional canvas in terms of strength?
Our unique tent material is an 11 oz canvas with a breaking strength of 449 lbs (warp direction) and 382 lbs (fill direction), making it significantly tougher than traditional canvas which has a breaking strength of 382 (warp) and 241 (fill) for 12 oz canvas and about 210 (warp) and 140 (fill) for 10 oz canvas. The tear strength is 67 lbs (warp) and 40 lbs (fill); this is roughly double that of the Sunforger canvas material used by other tent companies.
Do your wall tents collect condensation?
No, they are just as breathable as traditional canvas tents. Although it is possible for any tent to see condensation under the right conditions, we have not found this to be an issue with an Elk Mountain Tent. Yes, we have heard that condensation is an issue with other polyester tents, mainly the Alaknak. However, our polyester material is very different from the Alaknak. The difference is immediately noticeable. Alaknak tents look and feel almost like nylon, whereas ours look and feel more like cotton canvas. We have even used propane heaters in our tents in freezing conditions and not had condensation issues.
Can I order an Elk Mountain Tent with a sewn-in floor?
No, we do not offer a sewn in floor for the following reasons:
- Sewn-in floors are generally to be avoided if you are using an internal frame. We understand that some people like a sewn-in floor because it can help keep out small critters like mice. However, it is quite challenging to set up a frame while you are inside the tent! It is much easier to be able to set up a frame and pull your canvas tent over it.
- The material we use for our canvas tents is expensive! It just doesn’t make sense to be walking on it.
However, we do offer a tie-in floor made from a heavy duty poly material. This floor can be easily removed and cleaned and is made to fit your specific tent.
Do I need a rainfly?
No, a rainfly is not needed.
A rainfly is not needed with our canvas tents because the polyester canvas we use is already “waterproof.” I put the word in quotes because we prefer to call it “water resistant,” since very few products are ever truly “waterproof” or stay fully waterproof forever.
However, a rainfly can be used to help protect your tent from the elements and sparks. This is a cheap insurance for your investment and one we recommend. We do offer a rainfly that is designed to fit your tent and already has a hole for the stove pipe.
Regardless of the material, any wall tent can develop small leaks over time. With our canvas tents, these can be treated with many of the spray products on the market. You can even use Scotch Guard.
Are Elk Mountain Tents fire-retardant?
No; they will burn similar to any other untreated cotton canvas. The stove gaskets, however, are made of a fireproof fiberglass fabric.
We also sell stove shields that can be hung on the walls for additional protection.
That being said, if you’d prefer to treat part or all of your tent yourself, we strongly recommend Flame Safe’s FPCC Fire Retardant as it works best with our unique canvas. Coating both sides of the canvas will give you a protection level that easily passes any CPAI-84 or NFPA 701 tests as shown in this video. Note that most fire retardant treatments are supposed to be applied yearly for maximum safety.
You are responsible for making sure you meet any local fire laws and restrictions, though laws for tent structures typically only apply to commercial use.
Are your tents mold-proof?
Our unique canvas material is more resistant to mold than both traditional cotton canvas and partially-synthetic blends. That said, mold can still compromise the appearance and integrity of the material. Be aware that mold can grow on any surface in as little as 24 hours, especially in high humid areas or when your tent is not properly stored.
How can I prevent and/or treat mold?
- The first step is prevention. Always make sure you put your tent away dry. Clean off leaves, bird droppings, dirt, or any other organic material that may be sticking to the fabric. Allow as much airflow through the tent as possible.
- It’s best if you can catch it early when it’s just beginning to grow or spread. Spray the area with distilled white vinegar and let stand for one hour. Vinegar is a great natural cleaner and a good first start. You can also mix lemon juice and saltwater as a natural first step (one cup vinegar and 1 cup of saltwater to a gallon of warm water).
- If the vinegar is not getting the job done you can try one of the many commercially-available cleaning products made specifically for mold removal. A few recommendation is IOSSO Mold & Mildew Stain Remover or Star Brite Mold Stain & Mildew Stain Remover. Both of these can be found on Amazon. Other products, such as Oxyclean, will likely work as well, but it is always best to test a small spot first with any product. Avoid using detergent soaps.
- Use a soft brush and water to gently scrub the material.
- Depending on the severity of the mold, it may take a few treatments. Mold can be extremely difficult to remove, and even after a thorough cleaning it most likely will not look like a new tent.
Why are Elk Mountain Tents so much cheaper than those of other companies?
- Lower overhead = lower prices. We don’t have a storefront to maintain and we have very few employees.
- We don’t make each tent custom but rather manufacture in bulk, saving time and material. We have taken the approach of just adding all of the most requested features to each tent to avoid the slow production that comes with custom orders. This is why each model comes with 4 or 6 screened windows at such a low price. It’s also the reason why we are able to ship our tents out faster than many other wall tent manufacturers.
- We don’t have any retailers to take a cut, which let’s us provide you the best with no retail markup.
- Lastly, our superior canvas doesn’t require any mold/mildew, water, and sun treatments like traditional cotton canvas.
Simply put, our philosophy is to just sell more tents for less money.
Feel free to check out this feature for feature price comparison of us vs. the other guys.
We design our products ourselves with better materials, technologies, and manufacturing. This gives you better products at incredible prices.
How much do the canvas wall tents weigh?
At Elk Mountain Tents we use a unique polyester canvas that is a little lighter than cotton. The weights for our canvas tents are as follows:
- The 13×13 weighs about 55lbs.
- The 13×16 weighs about 65lbs.
- The 13 x 20 weighs about 75lbs.
- The 13ft Yukon Bell Tent weighs about 55 lbs, with poles and stakes it is about 75 lbs.
- The 16ft Yukon Bell Tent weighs about 75 lbs, with poles and stakes its about 100 lbs.
- The 20ft Yukon Bell Tent weighs about 95 lbs, with poles and stakes its about 125 lbs.
However, the weight increases when you include other things like poles, ropes, angles, etc. For more details, we’ve got a list of the exact product weights available.
Do you sell used canvas tents?
We do not usually have any used canvas wall tents for sale. On rare occasions we may have one used canvas tent available. However, 95% of the time we do not have any. You are always welcome to email us and ask! That being said, our prices for new canvas tents are comparable to the used price you may find elsewhere.
Why are the window flaps controlled on the outside of the tent and not the inside?
The windows are controlled on the outside so that absolutely no water can seep into the tent. Yes, we understand that this will occasionally be a little uncomfortable since you will have to go out of the tent to open and close the windows, but this is the only way we can ensure you and your gear will remain dry no matter the season.
Do you have any coupon codes right now?
Yes, there’s always at least one active coupon code! You can learn more by visiting the coupon codes page.
Do you offer outfitters a discount?
We do offer discounts for large group orders, and your 2nd tent always ships free. Give us a call and we’ll see what we can do for you (541)-316-8367.
Do you build custom tents?
All of our tents come in the standard sizes with all of the options. We can, however, do some custom work such as adding an additional stove jack with a gasket or adding a screen door to the back door. Custom orders will add 2-3 weeks for delivery.
Can the porch be removed?
No, the porch is an extension of the roof and cannot be removed. However, it can be folded back but it will cover the stove jack unless rolled up.
Are the back doors screened?
No, only the front door is screened on the tents that come with a screen door. You can, however,
add a back screen door through a custom order
Do you have canvas tents for rent?
We understand that some may not be ready to make the investment in a canvas tent just yet. However, we unfortunately do not have any canvas tents for rent at this time.
Do you ship to Canada? Hawaii? Alaska?
Yes, yes, and yes!
Canadian shoppers will automatically see an updated flat rate at check-out. They will also be responsible for any additional taxes and tariffs.
However, customers in Hawaii and Alaska will need to call for a shipping quote.
How is Elk Mountain Tents involved in giving back?
We sponsor a number of local events and activities. We also offer an annual scholarship for college/trade school students. If you, or an organization that you know, are looking for a sponsor, shoot us an email!